So you don’t know how to plan a wedding? Don’t worry we are here to help you. While it’s easy to pin gorgeous photos to your wedding Pinterest board, getting down to actual business can leave you feeling a little overwhelmed. There is so much to think about – the groom’s clothing, the venue, the dress… where do you even start? The steps below will tell you exactly that, and help you get inspired to start your wedding planning adventure.
1. The Budget – This is your most important step of the entire wedding planning phase; well, that and sticking to it. You need to decide how much you want or can spend on your wedding. These days, the average wedding costs somewhere around $30,000. If that made you gasp, don’t worry. It’s entirely possible to plan a gorgeous wedding for much less. The trick is knowing where to look for the items you need, and not being afraid to ask for a lot of discounts. Sit down and create your budget, setting the overall amount and then allocating percentages to each aspect of the wedding. You should consider the following when planning your wedding budget: the venue, food, flowers, drinks, decor, entertainment, clothing, favors, rehearsal dinner and gifts.
2. Setting Your Wedding Date – The next step is to decide on a wedding date. Here’s the most important tip you can receive when it comes to choosing a date: don’t choose a date that is “good” for everyone else. Choose a date that is good for you. If you try to pick a date that works for everyone you’re inviting, you won’t get very far. Pick a date well in advance so individuals can plan for it, and be understanding to those who still can’t make it.
3. The Venue – While most brides don’t often consider the venue until they’ve chosen other important items, the venue is one of the most important things you will choose. In fact, the venue will help you decide a lot of other things; the capacity can help determine the size of your guest list, the style and look can help choose a fitting them, etc. Choose your venue and lock it down for the date of your wedding as soon as possible.Don’t forget to visit and take lots of pictures of the venue so you can use them to plan the decor.
4. Creating a Wedding Planning Book – Another extremely important step that will help you stay organized, creating a wedding planning book is as easy as purchasing a binder and some divider tabs. Separate the book into sections, such as decor, attire, vendors, guests and food. Here, you can place all of your ideas, correspondence with vendors, receipts and plans such as the seating chart and more. It will keep you organized and save your life during the wedding planning phase.
5. Creating the Guest List – The fifth step is to create the guest list, or at least the initial guest list, because there are sure to be a lot of changes. Most experts recommend thinking of the following things while creating your wedding guest list:
- Were you invited to his or her wedding?
- Have you spoken with him or her in the past year?
- Is he or she family, or a close friend?
These questions can help you determine whether to invite a person you’re not sure about, or whether to let it go. Now that you know the first 5 steps of planning your wedding, it’s time to get started. Remember, it’s better to plan well in advance than to be rushing around just before your wedding day to get things accomplished!